Tuesday 31 January 2012

Arty cards

Time to talk some more about Postcrossing, if only to keep those poor Russians and Ukranians and Japanese people (why are they always "Japanese people", and not just "Japanians" or something?) that keep straying into my blog happy (yes, I can see all sorts of data about you, curious blog-viewer).
So just a few days ago Postcrossing passed the 10,000,000 received-card mark, which was a reason for celebration, and shortly before that the Netherlands passed their 1,000,000 send-card mark with (obviously) NL-1000000. This does not mean that 1 million Dutch postcards have arrived, that number is still around 916,000, which just goes to show how many cards are still disappearing in the mail. I tried to get that magical round number, but despite some fast clicking I ended up with NL-999995 and NL-1000007. Ah well, at least I didn't stay up all night waiting for it, like some people on the forum (obsession can only go so far, really).
Anyway, the next item on my list after "Alice in Wonderland illustrations" is arty cards by Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Klimt, Dali, and Waterhouse. I love impressionism and surrealism and I've sent a lot of these cards, and also some by Rembrandt and Vermeer, because, you know, they were Dutch and all. But I can't say I've received a lot of them, really. The last two are non-existant, as is Renoir, to my great sadness, but I have received three Van Goghs, three Monets, one by Monets son Michel, and one Klimt (which I didn't even recognize as one at first). Most of these have come from the Netherlands, but I received this beautiful Monet card from Taiwan;

TW-368306 received 21 September 2011
and this great Van Gogh card from Greece (a rare Postcrossing country);

GR-18249 received 26 May 2011
I'd love to show you all my art cards, but I'm afraid you've either stopped reading or have scrolled to the bottom of this post to check how much more there is, so I am going to leave it at this, but not before saying that I think it is sad that there isn't more interest in art on Postcrossing, and that most people just send a touristy card from their hometown, which are not only cheap but also generally just plain ugly. But hey, to each their own, and I am just happy I do send art cards to those people asking for them!
Last but not least, one Dutch user send me this great Mondriaan card, as seen by Dick Bruna;
NL-966593 received 7 January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment